Bank Street Journal
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World
  • Investing
  • Business
  • Politics
  • World
  • Investing
No Result
View All Result
Bank Street Journal
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Death toll from a boat capsizing in Congo earlier this week rises to 148, officials say

April 20, 2025
in World
Death toll from a boat capsizing in Congo earlier this week rises to 148, officials say
0
SHARES
4
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The death toll from a boat fire and capsizing in Congo earlier this week rose to 148 with more than 100 people still missing, officials said Friday. About 500 passengers were on board.

The wooden boat capsized Tuesday after catching fire on the Congo River in the country’s northwest, leaving at least 148 people dead and dozens missing, officials said.

The catastrophe began when a fire started as a woman was cooking on board the vessel, Compétent Loyoko, the river commissioner, told The Associated Press. Several passengers, including women and children, died after jumping into the water without being able to swim.

Dozens were saved, with many of the survivors badly burned. The search for the missing included rescue teams supported by the Red Cross and provincial authorities.

The motorized wooden boat caught fire near the town of Mbandaka, Loyoko said. The boat, HB Kongolo, had left the port of Matankumu for the Bolomba territory.

“The death toll among the 500 passengers on board was extremely high,” said Sen. Jean-Paul Boketsu Bofili of Equateur province Friday. “As we speak, more than 150 survivors suffering from third-degree burns are without humanitarian assistance.”

Deadly boat accidents are common in the central African country, where late-night travels and overcrowded vessels are often blamed. Authorities have struggled to enforce maritime regulations.

Congo’s rivers are a major means of transport for its more than 100 million people, especially in remote areas where infrastructure is poor or nonexistent. Hundreds have been killed in boat accidents in recent years as more people abandon the few available roads for wooden vessels packed with passengers and their goods.

“Our magnificent Congo River and the lakes our country abounds in have become huge cemeteries for the Congolese people. This is unacceptable,” said Bofili.

This post appeared first on cnn.com

Previous Post

Putin declares brief Easter ceasefire in war with Ukraine

Next Post

Netflix maintained its 2025 guidance. That may not be the sign of confidence it seems.

Next Post
Netflix maintained its 2025 guidance. That may not be the sign of confidence it seems.

Netflix maintained its 2025 guidance. That may not be the sign of confidence it seems.

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Recent News

    UK blocks Trump from using RAF air bases for potential Iran attack: report

    UK blocks Trump from using RAF air bases for potential Iran attack: report

    February 20, 2026
    Trump’s NIH director isn’t the only official wearing multiple hats during the president’s second term

    Trump’s NIH director isn’t the only official wearing multiple hats during the president’s second term

    February 20, 2026
    Repeat offender labeled ‘danger to the community’ walks free after Biden autopen clemency

    Repeat offender labeled ‘danger to the community’ walks free after Biden autopen clemency

    February 20, 2026
    Iran rebuilding nuclear program despite Trump talks, opposition figure claims

    Iran rebuilding nuclear program despite Trump talks, opposition figure claims

    February 20, 2026
    Disclaimer: bankstreetjournal.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Popular

    Syntholene Energy Corp. Announces $2.0 Million Non-Brokered Private Placement

    Syntholene Energy Corp. Announces $2.0 Million Non-Brokered Private Placement

    February 6, 2026

    House GOP moves to require proof of citizenship, photo ID to vote in federal election

    House GOP moves to require proof of citizenship, photo ID to vote in federal election

    February 6, 2026

    Recent News

    UK blocks Trump from using RAF air bases for potential Iran attack: report

    UK blocks Trump from using RAF air bases for potential Iran attack: report

    February 20, 2026
    Trump’s NIH director isn’t the only official wearing multiple hats during the president’s second term

    Trump’s NIH director isn’t the only official wearing multiple hats during the president’s second term

    February 20, 2026

    Copyright © 2026 bankstreetjournal.com | All Rights Reserved

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Business
    • Politics
    • World
    • Investing

    Copyright © 2026 bankstreetjournal.com | All Rights Reserved